Back in November (2011), Jen emailed Lifeline Children's services, an adoption agency based out of Alabama, about a little boy (whom they called Quinn) that was on their list of children waiting to be adopted. Yuan Wen Qiang, was born on March 23, 2010 and currently lives in the Nancheng Social Welfare Institute, located in the Jiangxi province of China.
Quinn was born with the Congenital Heart Defect: Tetralogy of Fallot, whatever that means and stands for, but three different doctors in the US (one here in Tracy, one in my hometown whom is a Pediatric specialist at the clinic where my mom works, and one whom is a Pediatric Cardiologist at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN) have said Tetralogy of Fallot is quite easily remedied with surgery.
From what we have gathered, Quinn was born with a narrowing of the pulmonary value and a thinckening of the wall in one of his ventricles, but with the surgery that they can do, symptoms and complications from such a birth defect can be alleviated so that he can experience a full and healthy life.
Notable cases of Tetralogy of Fallot: Shaun White, snowboarder and 2006 and 2010 Olympic gold medallist; Max Page (actor), Volkswagen's "Little Darth Vader" from the 2011 Super Bowl commercial.
With the regulations that China now has for adoption and the changes that have been made since we first started the process of adopting Addison, Jen and I both thought that being approved to adopt Quinn was a long shot at best. However, our new adoption agency said that they would put in for a waiver (a process they had never approached before) and we could see what happened, and that a little prayer by us and them won't hurt.
Well, here's the email that we got on 1-4-12 from our social worker from the adopton agency:
PA is here!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! IT WAS MEANT TO BE!!! :)
I called Jen as soon as I opened the forwarded email and said, so what does this mean? It means that we've been approved to adopt a little boy from China, that's what it means!!! The rest is just details, which include a dossier and a home study, both things that we had to do to adopt Addison, but both things that will take some time. I saw a date that was listed as a "deadline" date, so I'm guessing that we have to have the dossier and home study completed no later than July 4th, 2012. Which means that presumably before the 4th of July 2012 we'll have a travel date to pick up our new little one - Tovin Quinn Kainz. Crazy! As of right now, his middle name will be Quinn, which I'm guessing is a rough translation of Qiang into English from Chinesse. The word Tov is Hebrew and means "that perfect moment", for which we are using in his first name - Tovin . I could be a little bias here, but I think he's pretty cute!
Woohoo...the first to comment on your precious baby boy's blog!!! So happy for you guys. He is absolutely adorable. Hugs to all!
ReplyDeleteI, Ian was wondering if you were going to keep tovin's awsome hairdo.I like it a lot.I really want to met him right away. he looks like a really fun guy.
ReplyDeleteFinally logged in to read up on you 'new' nephew. Here's hoping the rest of the process is as smooth as the first part has been.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Auntie