April 9, 2013

An Early Out!

We got up this morning to the sound of sleet hitting our windows.  In Addison's school folder I wrote a note to Ms. Kari that if school was let out early Jason would pick her up on his way home.  Not that it was that much of a prediction, but at 9:00 school was let out for the day.  An early out on April 9th...where is Spring?

I went into the school this afternoon to talk the principal Mrs. Olson about next year.  She mentioned to me that there is only 29 days of school left for the year!  While I was at school I was able to catch up with my long-term sub, Mrs. Coulter, she gave me an update on all of our students.  I sure do miss them and I'm proud of how far they have come!  Three of them have been able to exit out of SpEd, which is the ultimate goal!

Just yesterday we were able to see some green pop through the brown grass, and now we have a blanket of white snow...the ducks and geese visiting our pond must be totally confused!


Addison spent her day out of school over at Auntie's house playing outside in the snow with Nathan and Elizabeth.  Uncle gave her a ride home in the tractor, how thoughtful and he even pushed the snow out of our driveway!  

Tovin spent his time inside with mom and dad reading, playing with Legos, and working on different sounds and words.  We pulled out some of Addison's favorite books from when she was three, and introduced him to those.  He loved all of them; especially the books that had rhymes and some rhythm.  Roar of a Snore, all of the Llama Llama books, A Crazy Day at the Critter Cafe and Humpty Dumpty.  He would rock back and forth while I read them to him.  He loved to look at the pictures and mumbled along.  It warms my heart seeing Tovin enjoy books as much as he does!  I pray that his love for books grows throughout his life.

Right now Tovin isn't able to be outside for very long, or play very hard because of his pulmonary issues, but it's pretty obvious that he's going to be an active little boy after this first surgery!  All of the doctors that have met him have mentioned to us that he will feel so good that he will want be on the move and that he will make up for lost time quickly!  I'm ready for that day, but I'm enjoying the quiet times with him right now.  He is such a snuggler, and loves to be held!  I'm soaking it all in.  


Tovin has an "behavior from his past" that is causing him to have severe gas pains during the day, and at times wakes him up at night; he swallows air.  We first noticed this "behavior" when we were in China.  He does it when he's calm, bored, soothing himself, or agitated...so basically all of the time.  It hurts his belly so much that he screams out in pain, it's so hard on Tovin and us because he's in pain and we're not able to help him - it's such a helpless feeling seeing your precious child in pain.  We have learned and used the "I Love You" tummy rubbing method - this by far works the best for Tovin, we have pressed his legs up towards his belly but he doesn't like that too much, and we have discovered gas drops - thanks Erickson's!  These things have all helped, but until we can replace this "behavior" with something else, Tovin is going to have this issue.  Please pray that Tovin is able to beat this "behavior", and that his tummy pain will be gone forever!  If anyone has any other ideas on how to get rid of tummy gas please let us know!  


Tovin has started to say some words; he has momma, dad, go, no, and yes down.  Today we worked on help, up, dog, please, the "t" sound and the "s" sound.  We are please with his progress with learning words and making meaningful sounds, and also with learning sign language, but wish he was able to communicate more.  He's three years old and he knows what he wants, he gets frustrated with us not knowing what he is pointing at!  I like to think that I can read his mind, but I guess I'm not very good at it!  We know that in time he will be talking up a storm, it will be on his time when he is ready, and when that time comes we will rejoice for him!

Thank you for all the support and comforting thoughts and prayers!  

Good night from the snow covered prairie!

No comments:

Post a Comment