March 21, 2013

Fried Laptop Anyone?

Jen's been wanting to order a new laptop for about a year now, after last night, her wish may come true!  

If you've been following our blog since we picked Tovin up in China, one of his ways to deal with frustration is to throw things.  Apparently at some point last night in the hospital room, while he had a full juice box sitting within his reach, he must have had one of his fits of frustration and tossed his apple juice box.  Needless to say, we may be getting a new computer!  Jen said it landed squarely on the keyboard and before she could get to it, had emptied over half of it's contents directly into the body of the computer.  

She called me in a panic because we have so much information on that computer (all of Addison's pictures since the day we started our journey to her all the way through present day - and I'm pretty sure we are naive enough to think that we had no need to have a back up of that stuff on a flash drive!), and was thinking that I would know what to do.  Better luck next year computer!!!

When I asked her how much actually spilled on the keyboard and if she thought it would actually ruin the computer she said she was guessing that sizzling sounds and a little bit of smoke coming through the keyboard along with the fact it wouldn't turn back on when she tried, wasn't good.  My response was, "hmmmm, you've been wanting a new computer!"

She wanted me to do something...from 3 hours away!?!  She said, "Look it up online and tell me if there's anything we could do."  I found that the best suggestions to save your laptop if and when "you",  in our case, "your upset Chinese adopted son that doesn't understand English yet, has been in and out of the hospital 4 times in the last 8 days, been poked and prodded by over a dozen doctors and nurses, is suffering from constipation and shows a bit of frustration by throwing whatever he can get his tiny little hands on" spill liquid on your laptop's keyboard are to:
1. remove the battery as soon as possible after the incident (already way past "as soon as possible" for the possibility of saving our laptop!)
2. remove the memories - whatever that means (I'm guessing that means to manually remove the hard-drive, and good luck to me trying to explain this to Jen over the phone, being that I don't even know what one looks like and or how to remove it even if I had the computer sitting right in front of me!)
3. Place the battery-less, memories-less computer in a bag of rice and wait.  Ok, so I didn't find this suggestion on the internet, but that seems to be the solution for any type of electronic gadget that gets wet, right?

I called Jen back and told her what the internet said.  All I can say is that I'm hoping the computer shop in town call pull stuff off the hard-drive!!!

Oh, Tovin is having another ultrasound this morning on his abdomen to see if there are any other obstructions in his bowels that would be causing his constipation, and or if they can see anything else of concern needing attention.  If nothing is of concern it sounds like Tovin will be allowed to leave sometime after the ultrasound has been read.  I'm sure they will keep him on some sort of stool softener or laxative for a period of time, but other than that I hoping to see them get home with Grandma Linda yet this afternoon.

If I hear anything I'll update.  Otherwise, have a wonderful day!

2 comments:

  1. Brent said they should be able to pull all of that off the computer for you! Hope Tovin is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh no!!! so NOT what y'all need to worry about - wish I knew how to help!

    ReplyDelete