March 20, 2013

Really?


Tovin and I had returned home from the Cities yesterday just in time to pick Addison up from Preschool.  It was great to be home and to see her, and I'm sure Tovin was excited that he was finally wire free!  Our afternoon and evening was uneventful, except for Addison's conferences for school at 6:45.

On our way home from conferences we noticed that Tovin's car seat was tighter than normal.  Not thinking too much about it, Jason just made it bigger for him.  I remember thinking it was almost too loose when we left the cities yesterday morning...it should have triggered some thought, but didn't.

When we got home I forgot to check the car seat or Tovin, we just started winding down for the night.  When I put Tovin's pj's on I noticed that his bellybutton was no longer an inny, but was now an "outy", and that his stomach looked like all the Buddha statues we saw in China.  When I touched his belly it was very hard and he whimpered!

We decided to call Children's to ask if this was common after the procedure that he had done on Monday.  They suggested going to the emergency room and having his blood checked and an x ray taken of his belly.

We bundled him up and brought him to the Tracy emergency room around 10:00 last night.  Tovin again did well, but was not excited to be there.  The nurses and doctor on call noticed that his belly was extended, I was wondering if it was just in my head that his belly was so big!  They took his blood and found out that his labs and stats were consistent with what they were at Children's.  He had an x ray done, and it didn't seem to show anything.  They were concerned that maybe Tovin was bleeding from his procedure earlier; this fluid wouldn't show up on the x ray. The doctor in Tracy called Children's back; they decided it would be best if Tovin was admitted to Children's ICU right away.

Jason and I were trying to decide who was going to take him to the Cities, or if we should just both go.  At this point it was well past midnight and I had turned into a pumpkin!  The nurse came back into the emergency room and said that she was going to have us start filling out transport papers.  I soon understood that Tovin was going to be transported by ambulance.  I woke up really fast after hearing that, and asked if I could just drive him.  I don't think me driving him would've been safe, but did he really need to be transported by ambulance?  When I think of an ambulance, I picture a speeding vehicle with lights flashing and a very sick patient in the back receiving CPR.   Tovin didn't seem really sick, other than his belly being Buddha sized.

I've never been in an ambulance and I'm sure Tovin hasn't either; it was a first for both of us!  The Tracy Ambulance crew was really great and took really good care of us!  They wrapped us up tight with a warm blanket, strapped us to the bed and hoisted us into the back.  Off we went, Tovin fell asleep right away and I soon followed.  Tovin woke up as we were turning into Children's Hospital.  For those of you who haven't had the experience of traveling in an ambulance...they are like riding in the back of a school bus!

The team of doctors and nurses at Children’s came into Tovin's room as soon as we arrived, and noticed his belly, felt around and listened to it.  They didn't think his belly was due to the procedure that he had done the day before; their guess was constipation...yep constipation!  Tovin's diet has completely changed from what it was in the orphanage, he loves bananas, he's been under stress, he has a girly potty chair (Addison's pink Dora chair), and he has had some pain medicine.  I totally get it!

Since Tovin is here, Dr. Rios has ordered more labs and also a consult with the hematologist (knowledge for the upcoming surgery) and also the gastroenterologists (to make sure everything is working correctly down there).  The way it seems Tovin will have had every part of his body checked out before we leave! 

When I look back on these past two days I have to giggle!  I'm so glad that it wasn't something more serious, and it will be a great story to tell him someday!  So now I'm in the Cities without a car not knowing when Tovin and I will be able to go home.  

Update:  Tovin has relieved himself!  Ha ha...

Happy Napping,
Jen and Tovin

5 comments:

  1. Hey!! Hope things work out alright!! Just so you know Jen, my parents are coming up to the cities tomorrow in case you want them to bring you a vehicle? Call my mom! Also if you need to make a trip to go anywhere for anything tonight let me know!! I am free for the most part the rest of the night!! Text me at 507.626.0316

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO through the tears. What a day! Take a couple deep breaths and gear up for the next adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to stop reading your post halfway through due to an interruption by one of my kids. So of course, I started praying like a warrior for the best for Tovin since I hadn't gotten to the part about CONSTIPATION! I am happy to hear my prayers were answered and Tovin has since relieved himself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless you!!!! And hey, better to be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah for relief! I have been thinking of you and little Tovin since Jason mentioned you all yesterday morning. Glad to hear it was not a complication from the procedure.

    ReplyDelete