June 10, 2013

Be Brave Little Caterpillar!

Living by a semi-deep pond, and having two parents who love to swim makes it necessary for Addison and Tovin to learn how to swim and feel comfortable in water.  So, today Addison reluctantly started her first session of swimming lessons for this summer.  Tovin will most likely start next year unless he really likes the pool when we go in for open swimming in the afternoons, then we'll have him start this summer during third session.

Last year Addison successfully finished two full sessions of lessons without getting more than a few strands of hair even somewhat wet!  She doesn't exactly enjoy the water!  We are praying that this summer Addison starts to feel more comfortable in the water, maybe enough so to get her hair wet, possibly enough to be so daring as to submerge her face in the water...not just inches away without the thought that getting even a single millimeter closer!

Addison's teacher for the first session is Miss. Ellie.  Addison knows beautiful Ellie from church as well as dance; I think that they are going to have a great time together!


Last night Addison was talking with me about her fear of starting swimming lessons.  I believe that she is afraid of the unknown; afraid of what's going to happen if her head goes under water.  It takes her doing and trying things over and over before she becomes comfortable enough not to be afraid.  This is the first summer that she has been willing to go down the slides at Sebastian Park, and now that she is not longer scared it's hard for us to leave the park because she's having so much fun.  I pray that someday she will be this excited about going to swimming lessons!


We have found a really great nightly devotional for Addison...one of the devotions we've read was about not being afraid.  It had a great message for Addison...

"Do not be afraid, for I am with you.  Hear Me saying peace, be still to your restless heart.  No matter what happens, I will never leave you or forsake you.  Let this soak into your mind and hear, until you overflow with joy."

She needs to be reminded that she will be just fine, and that God will always be by her side!


I know that it is natural to have fears and that being afraid is only human: I personally have many fears in life!  Some people are blessed with a crazy bravery trait, but Addison was not given this trait when she was created!  I hope that someday she is able to overcome her fears and be able to continue walking (swimming) though life's scary moments despite her head telling her it's way too scary, to not try it and to work though the feeling of her heart pounding out of her chest!  


I was lucky enough to be a camp counselor at Shetek Lutheran Bible Camp during the summers while I was in college.  We did a week on "Fear Not" and there were a couple great song that we taught the campers:

Be Bold Be Strong

Be bold!(Be bold!) Be strong!(Be strong!) For the Lord your God is with you. (2x) 
Be not afraid. No, no, no, no, no, no
Be not dismayed. No, no, no, no, no, no
Walk in faith and victory! Come on! Walk in faith and victory!

For the Lord your God is with you! (REPEAT)

Words and Music by Morris Chapman


the second song the campers learned isnone from Veggie Tales...

God Is Bigger
You were lying in your bed,You were feeling kind of sleepy,But you couldn't close your eyes because the room was getting creepy.Were those eyeballs in the closet?Was that Godzilla in the hall?There was something big and hairy casting shadows on your wall.Now your heart is beating like a drum,Your skin is getting clammy,There's a hundred tiny monsters jumping right in to your jammies!Bob: What are you going to do?Junior: I'm going to call the police!Bob: No. You don't have to do anything!Junior: What? Why?Bob: Because...God is bigger than the boogie man.He's bigger than Godzilla and the monsters on TV.Oh, God is bigger than the boogie man,And he's watching out for you and me.Junior:..So when I'm lying in my bed,And the furniture starts creeping,I'll just laugh and say "Hey! Cut that out!"And get back to my sleeping.'Cause I know that God's the biggest, and He's watching all the while,So when I get scared, I'll think of Him, close my eyes andsmiiiiiiiiiiiiile!!!God is bigger than the boogie man.He's bigger than Godzilla and the monsters on TV.Oh, God is bigger than the boogie man,And he's watching out for you and me.Monster #1: So are you frightened?Junior: No not really!Monster #2: Are you worried?Junior: Not a bit! I know whatever's gonna happen, that God can handle it!Frankencelery: I'm sorry that I scared you when you saw me on TV.Junior: Well that's ok, 'cause now I know that God is taking care of me!God is bigger than the boogie man.He's bigger than Godzilla and the monsters on TV.Oh, God is bigger than the boogie man,And he's watching out for you and me.He's watching out for you and me.Watching, watching, watching!Out for you and Me!
I had forgotten about these two songs!  I think I need to download them on Addison's iPod tonight!

Be BRAVE our little one!  You're doing so well, we are proud of every small gain you make and every giant leap you take!  Take flight with those beautiful wings that are hiding inside your cocoon!

Thank you so much Ellie for wrapping your loving arms around Addison today!  You are helping her become our Brave Little Caterpillar!

1 comment:

  1. your caterpillar is soooo precious!!!!! LOVE these swim photos!!! Sooo beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete