May 31, 2013

Domestic Goddess?

We always have a ton of projects on our household to do list!  Today we were able to cross off two items on the list!

The first project I tackled today was for dear little Addison.  Last month she found a piece of material that she liked a lot!  She loves looking at different material thinking of all things that "we" could make out of it!   This particular material was something that she thought she just had to have a dress made out of.  I bought a piece of the material and figured that my mom could make it for her someday.  Addison reminded me of "our" dress project today as her and I were heading out to work at Summit Place for the morning (mom was getting her cast taken off!).  I decided to bring it with thinking that I could construct the simple dress!  I cut the material to fit around Addison's body and started to sew!


I made straps and even two button holes...I think that it turned out pretty good!


Jason picked her up and took her home for lunch, so when I got home the first words out of her mouth and our conversation went like this:

Addison: "Mom, did you get my beautiful dress done?"
Me: "Yes, Honey I did!"
Addison: "Oh Mom, I knew that you would find a way to make it!"  "Can I please try it on, and maybe you can take a picture of Tovin and me in my new dress!"  I think that I'm going to wear it to church on Sunday, what do you think?"
Me:  "Let's just try it on to see how it looks then we can decided if you can wear it to church!"

I think that I did an okay job, but not sure where she learned to pose like this?

 

Our two sweet peas...


While sitting in the window seal Addison decided to give Tovin a smooch on his cheek...


She then told Tovin to give her a smooch too and then said, "I love you so much Tovin!"


I'm so glad that they get along...


The next project that we tackled was the retaining wall down by the water.  We put this retaining wall in to help stop the water run-off and beach erosion when we would have a heavy rain.  I'm not sure if it's working the best, but we have it here now, and it's not going to come out!  

The wall has been extremely neglected this spring, and needed some TLC!  We are having Tovin's baptism down by the water at the end of this month, and would love to have the beach area looking semi-decent for this special occasion!  It's always helpful for us to have something going on at our house...it prompts us to get moving on our "Honey-Do" list!

So down to the beach we went with our gloves on and carrying a crow bar...


I'm thinking Addison had other things (climbing on the rocks) in mind, and weeding was not one of them!


This is the wall before we started...ugh!


We were actually surprised with how easy it was to dig up the dirt!  I think all the rain that we have had helped keep it soft.  We were able to start planting the flowers before the kids became too bored with weeding!


We have always planted Wave Patunias in the middle of this wall because they are so easy to grow and so forgiving!  I admit we are not the best at remembering to water!  

Of course, Tovin wanted to help us plant too when he saw Addison having so much fun with planting the flowers.  We gave him a plant, and he immediately pulled it out of the starter pot.  Let's just say the plant came out, but none of the dirt came with!  The expression on his face was priceless!



When we finished our wall was no longer a home for weeds, but a home for beautiful flowers!  I hope that we can keep it weed free this summer!



Ten more fabulously fun summer projects to go...

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You've had a busy day. Nice to be able to cross off 2 things on your to-do list! You are a great seamstress, Jen. The dress is so cute and I like Addison's choice of fabric! So fun to read your blog. You are writing a book for your two lovely children. They will love it! Keep up the great posts. Hugs Aunt Judy Dupree

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo Hoo! Let me introduce you to my new best friend for keeping the weeds away... Preen! It is amazing!

    ReplyDelete