May 2, 2013

Good Morning!

At 11:00 last night Tovin was able to be freed from his breathing tubes.  He was having a difficult time waking up enough to stay off the breathing machine until then.  He would open his eyes for about 10 seconds, grip onto our fingers and then fall back to sleep.  He has been really laid back and relaxed here; behavior wise, he's been touted as a perfect patient!  When pulling the breathing tubes last night both nurses said that Tovin was the first 3-year old that they didn't have to wrestle with while doing this uncomfortable task.  As other nurses on the floor walked past, more then one stopped by asking "his" nurses how they got to be so lucky!

He coughed a little, but other than that he just laid back and let them do their magic!  If they had an award for the best behaved 3-year old, they said Tovin would have the highest honor's either of them had ever given.  At that point, Jason said, "Tovin, did you hear that, I'll just have remember that when you're like 15...that there was a time when you were well behaved!"


The nurse this morning said that Tovin did really well last night!  He had a few bumps of pain medicine, but has tolerated the pain quite well.  He is one tough cookie...I would be in rough shape if I had my chest cut open.  Tovin has had the best nurses!  Ms. Brittney and Ms. Kayla thank you for being so wonderful to our little man!


This morning his lactate level is higher than they want it.  When the Dr.'s did morning rounds they talked about a few reasons why this might be, the only two reasons I understood were that his body is trying to get use to his new circulatory system, and that his hemoglobin level is at 17, it had been running really high and should be around 20.5, so his body is having to adjust.


"I'm awake! I've already had my lips greased up by mom, and scammed some water filled sponge sticks from the nurse!  I would love a glass of flavored water and some Nanchang Styled Noodles, but they say I can't have anything to eat or drink!  Also, this thing in my nose is driving me bananas!  Wish someone would take it out...peas (please)!"

He is back to sleep, just chilling.  We are amazed at this whole process and how well Tovin is doing.  What a fighter!

Thank you all for your prayers; God is listening and has provided guidance and support for Tovin, us, and his medical team!  Tov - indeed.  Please keep praying for everything to continue this same path today and for the days to come.

Jen and Jason.

No comments:

Post a Comment