May 8, 2013

One Proud Mama!

Just one week ago Tovin had his first open heart surgery...and today, look what he can do!

After Tovin's chest tubes were taken out this afternoon he became a new man!  He immediately put his one leg up in the air and smiled!  It turns out that Tovin is crazy flexible.  At one point this afternoon he had both of his feet by his ears with the best grin on his face!  I'm sure it's all the tumbling classes that he has watched of Addison's since being home - he was at more than a few, and just sat there mesmerized by the girls!  Jason thought that it was just the girls...but I'm thinking it was the tumbling that kept his attention.  I can't wait to see what he is like in class!


Don and Eunice, my great aunt and uncle, came to visit for a short time tonight.  Don will be baptizing Tovin this summer on our beach by the pond, just like he did for Addison.  It was nice for them to have met Tovin prior to the baptism.  Thank you stopping by!

This evening Tovin was a little upset with me as he wasn't getting all of my attention.  Yes, he is getting even more spoiled here - I'm so glad that I'm able to spoil him!  Tovin always calms down when he is walked, so we spent some time walking the halls.  When we walked past the Family Living room he pointed into the room, which meant, "let's go in there mom."  He's got me trained pretty well!  So, we took a detour to play with the kitchen set they have.  He found the grocery cart and loaded it up with a bunch of books and toy food; before I knew it he was taking some steps on his own!  At home he would get out of breath just standing next to the couch and walking around it was a major feat; now he is able to stand for as long as he wants and was able to push the grocery cart besides!  I wish Jason was here to witness this first for him!  It was so much fun.


Tovin found Lighting McQueen and went for a ride, on his own.  We made a round with him scooting himself along.  I felt like I was going to tear up the whole time...but I contained myself.  I was beaming!  Doctor Kelly (who met Tovin in early March at his "bluest") was the floor doctor tonight and I think she was about to tear up as well!  She is so proud of Tovin!  I'm so happy for him, he is so happy too!  If you could only have seen the look on his face as he was scooting past all the nurses...of course they made a huge production of it!


Tovin did not want to stop tonight!  We ended up bring Lighting back to our room to spend the night!  I'm actually surprised that Lighting isn't in bed with us right now!  I'm thinking we will have to make a Target run on our way home!

Tovin's little legs have a long road ahead of them, but the gains we made tonight were crazy!  When he is healed we plan on teaching him how to crawl first and then work on walking.  We don't want him to miss that important developmental stage.  I'm so amazed by the difference in Tovin after this first surgery, I can't imagine the difference in him after his reconstruction!  What a joy to watch this transformation in our brave little tiger!

When the doctors did their evening rounds they were pleased with Tovin's progress.  They have been watching his blood sugar throughout the day and feel that it isn't going to be an issue.  We will just have to make sure that he has some snacks throughout the day.  They want to do two more morning x-rays to make sure Tovin's chest is absorbing fluids and air, if there are any extra.  We're hoping for Friday to be the day, but knowing that it could be Saturday or Sunday until we can go home. 

Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
Matthew 19:26

Good Night!

4 comments:

  1. I could tear up just reading about Toven's progress, Jen. I cannot imagine the feelings you must have about the progress he has made. Do you really see crawling as a necessity? Neither one of my kids crawled. Cheryl started taking steps at 9 months and never quit. I think Wade was about 10 months. (I'd have to look that up, but I think it is right.) The only time that Wade crawled was when he was playing with his cars and tractors. Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jesus!!!! What an incredible little guy!!!! and that smile... ohhh that smile!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PRAISE THE LORD! I have so many goosebumps after reading this post! Tovin it is remarkable how much I love you and we haven't even met yet! You sure are a charmer with your smile and accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMEN! Good job Tovin! Watch out mom, dad, and jiejie. Here you come. So happy for you little guy. :-) Soon you will be running and mom will be chasing you.

    ReplyDelete